Main Content Area
Welcome to the Office of Scale Research!
The Office of Scale Research (OSR), associated with the Marketing Department at SIU for nearly three decades, provides assistance to those engaged in marketing research, particularly those who use multi-item measurement scales. The information provided here is useful to a very wide group of professionals who want to use the most precise measures when studying the thoughts and feelings of people, with the main focus being on consumers. The connection with marketing in particular comes from the source of the measures that have been reviewed over time. The scales have been used and tested in research that has been published in scholarly marketing journals. Because those measures have a history of usage and the results have been published, it is possible for researchers with some understanding of psychometrics to judge the quality of the scales and, thereby, make a better selection from among the available measures. It is hoped that by building upon the best of what scholars have produced, the effort wasted in making new scales can be reduced and the quality of research increased.
The site offers assistance with the following issues:
- About - the history of the OSR
- Handbooks - details of the Marketing Scales Handbook series
- Technical Reports - free papers regarding various scales issues
- Readings list- references to guide scale development & usage
- Links - a list of other sites that provide scale-related information
- News - current events & the Pet-Peeve blog by Dr. Bruner.